The 1990s are making a comeback in the fashion & beauty worlds. Fashion-wise, we can look forward to rocking tight-fitting trousers, denim button down shirts & neon colors this season. And incorporating that '90s look into your beauty routine is easy with matte lipstick, Amrita Singh-inspired hair, the return of the bold blush & dark eyes. Read on to learn how to achieve the '90s beauty look with my tips.
The middle part is back for spring!!! Reminiscent of Ashwini Bhave, this trend is great paired with straight, smooth locks, but also looks great if you have soft waves. The great thing about the middle part is that you can wear your hair straight the 1st day & then have '2nd day hair' after sleeping on it: as pictured above, hair gets a perfectly disheveled wave to it on the 2nd day.
To rock the middle-part:
1. Part wet hair in a straight line down the middle. Add a heat styling product to your hair to protect it from the heat. Blow dry.
2. To achieve the sleek, straight look, use a flat iron to straighten hair in small sections.
3. Add a little serum to your ends to tame frizz & get shiny, silky strands.
For a little extra embellishment, add a headband. You can wear one the traditional way or try an elastic headband to wrap around your head & across your forehead.
Amrita Singh, an Indian film actress of the 1990s, is still famous today for her voluminous curls. You can channel Amrita's volume & bring your hair to whatever height you wish this season, going for full-on feathering or low-key curls.
To get Amrita's feathered hair:
1. Add a heat styling product to your damp hair to protect it & allow the style to stay. Blow dry your hair in sections with a big, round brush. This'll create movement & bend to your hair.
2. After your hair is dry, spray it with a little hair spray for staying power.
3. Take either a curling iron or a flat iron & 'flip' your ends outward & create big curls.
4. When you're done curling & flipping, spray your hair again, lightly, with hair spray.
The '90s Makeup
The aspects of '90s makeup that transfer best to modern day are matte lipstick & dark eyes. Bold-style makeup shifts the focus to the wearer rather than the makeup itself: emphasizing you & your features!!
For matte lips, exfoliate your lips. This'll remove any dead skin. I like to use salt or sugar with a little olive oil or honey & a toothbrush. Just use the mixture to slough off the dead stuff. Next, you need to apply a chapstick. Vaseline will be too heavy, I think: also it'll come out glossy. Also, apply your chapstick about 10 mins. prior to your lipstick to let it sink in. Then apply your lipstick.
For dark eyes, begin by applying a dark eyeshadow that you've chosen to your eyelids. Apply the eye shadow evenly over your eyes. Next, apply eyeliner. This'll give your dark eye makeup a frame to sit within. Finally, apply mascara to both top & bottom lashes.
What do you think of incorporating 1990s beauty into today's beauty routine??? Do you like wearing bold makeup?? Would you like to read more 'Beauty by the Decades' as a series??